What happens if a dog eats butter? Butter isn’t toxic to dogs like Grapes or some different nuts can be. Most dogs will be fine after eating small to moderate amounts. However, if your dog eats a large amount of butter it’s possible that they will get pancreatitis which can occasionally be fatal. This is rarer, and unlikely to happen to your dog.
How much butter is too much for a dog? An average-sized dog (30 pounds) needs about 12 grams of fat per day. That is the amount of fat in one tablespoon of butter. So, if you deliberately gave your dog butter (only one tablespoon) you have already reached its daily fat intake need. This means your dog must not eat any more fats for the day.
Can you give dogs butter? No. Butter is, of course, made from milk, and some dogs are lactose intolerant. Butter is mostly saturated fat and doesn’t offer any health benefits, as some other fatty oils do.
What foods make dogs sick?
- Alcoholic beverages.
- Apple seeds.
- Apricot pits.
- Cherry pits.
- Candy (particularly chocolate—which is toxic to dogs, cats, and ferrets—and any candy containing the toxic sweetener Xylitol)
- Coffee (grounds, beans, and chocolate-covered espresso beans)