Will a little nutmeg hurt a dog? “Nutmeg is toxic to pets due to a compound in the nutmeg called Myristicin,” says Stephanie Liff, DVM, and partner at Brooklyn Cares Veterinary Hospital in New York. The answer is very simple: no, nutmeg is not safe for dogs.
Is nutmeg and cinnamon okay for dogs? Cinnamon might not be toxic to dogs, but nutmeg, another common baking spice often used with cinnamon in recipes, can have toxic effects. Nutmeg contains the toxin myristicin, which can cause hallucinations, increased heart rate, disorientation, high blood pressure, abdominal pain, dry mouth, and even seizures.
What spices can dogs not have?
- Garlic. Keep garlic away from your dog.
- Cocoa powder. Similar to chocolate, cocoa powder is an important spice to leave out of your dog’s diet.
How much nutmeg will hurt a dog? Nutmeg contains myristicin, a narcotic that can cause hallucinations in pets (and actually, in people!) A toxic dose can be as little as one teaspoon of ground nutmeg to two or three whole nutmegs. After your pet eats nutmeg, symptoms can occur rapidly.