What happens if a dog eats a plum? Plum pits, foliage, and stems contain a compound called amygdalin. When the body processes this compound, it converts it into hydrogen cyanide, a deadly poison. Consuming amygdalin in high enough quantities can cause cyanide poisoning in dogs, sometimes known as plum poisoning.
How much plum is toxic to dogs? The flesh of the plum itself is generally not harmful. “Unless it is overripe, fermented, or moldy, a small amount of plum flesh without ingesting the pit is probably fine,” she explains.
Can dogs eat plum skin? Plum flesh is safe, but it’s high in sugar content, so it isn’t the best snack for dogs. Plum pits are have a sharp end and can cause digestive obstruction. The pit also contains cyanide, so if your dog has crushed the pit with her teeth, there is some added risk.
Can dogs eat plums and peaches? Unlike watermelon or strawberries, stone fruits including cherries, plums, apricots, and peaches can be bad for dogs if they still have the pit, stems, and leaves. If your dog accidentally ingests these parts of the fruit, keep an eye on him for any changes in behavior.