What happens if a dog eats pistachios? Properly processed pistachios are not directly toxic to your dog but the canine system does not properly digest the proteins in nuts. Eaten in large quantities pistachios can cause gastrointestinal distress, obesity, and pancreatitis.
How many pistachios can a dog eat? But as an occasional snack in moderation, feel comfortable doing so. The best option is to choose an unsalted version, or just make sure to only offer 2-3 every so often.
Can pistachios hurt a dog? While pistachios have certain health benefits and are ultimately not toxic to dogs, their high-fat content could make them pretty sick if they have them in large amounts. According to the ASPCA, the high-fat content in nuts like pistachios, pecans, and macadamia nuts can cause vomiting and diarrhea in dogs.
What nuts are poisonous to dogs?
- Macadamia nuts – Very toxic to dogs.
- Black walnuts – Very toxic to dogs.
- Old and moldy walnuts – Very toxic to dogs and cats.
- Raw Cashews – Should be avoided for dogs and toxic for cats.
- Pistachios – Should be avoided for dogs and cats.