Can a dog survive eating chewing gum? Generally speaking, the dose of xylitol required to cause poisoning in dogs is about 0.05 grams per pound of body weight. Chewing gum typically contains about 0.22-1.0 gram of xylitol per piece! This means that a 10-pound dog could be poisoned by just one piece of gum.
What gum is toxic to dogs? Sugarless gum may contain xylitol, a class of sweetener known as sugar alcohol. Xylitol is present in many products and foods for human use, but can have devastating effects on your pet.
Can a dog survive xylitol? Xylitol is extremely toxic to dogs. Even small amounts of xylitol can cause hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), seizures, liver failure, or even death in dogs.
How much gum can hurt a dog? Products can have widely varying levels of xylitol in them, but only small amounts of the substance can cause serious harm. Depending on the concentration of xylitol and the size of the dog, just one stick of chewing gum is enough to be toxic and make your pet critically ill.